For Montenegro

1. Mamula Fortress
Those with an interest in abandoned buildings will be captivated by the Mamula Fortress and its dark past. Located on the tiny, unhabited island of Lastavica, just off the coast of Marista, the fortress was constructed by the Austrian Admiral Lazar Mamula in 1853 in order to protect against invading ships. Due to its secluded location surrounded by sea water, the fortress was used as a prison and concentration camp during World War II by Benito Mussolini’s fascist army. With over 2000 prisoners, the camp was packed full of men, woman and children from regions such as Dalmatia and Boka, said to be enemies of the Italian occupying forces. Accesible by rowing boat, kayak or by swimming, the island makes for a dark day of exploration and is a fascinating part of Montenegro’s recent history. During the summer months there are various guided tours to the island run from the nearby town of Luštica, or from Prevlaka in Croatia.

Taken from http://www.septemberhotels.com/sights/the-top-5-castles/

2. Names

Montenegro got its name from the dark mountain forests that cover the land. The name breaks down into two words, ‘monte’ and ‘negro’ (black, mountain), and dates back to the 15th century.

aeonee:

3. Oldest tree

They have a very special tree named the Stara Maslina. What’s special about a tree? Well, maybe the fact that it has been around for over 2,000 years! Some even speculate that it could be the oldest olive tree in the whole wide world.

Parece que si eres un olivo esta zona es la buena para vivir aún con guerras y todo.

It seems that if you are an olive tree this is the good region to live even with wars and everything.

aeonee:

Video , Shot at this location?

No, it is Miss Sarajevo a very famous song dedicated to stop the Balkan Serbo-Croatian War in 1991 that surely burned many ancient olive trees. And sorry, I wrote in Spanish, maybe because when talking about Nature I have a lot of pain about what is happening nowadays and that goes to my core where my mother tongue dominates.

4.  Bird-watcher’s paradise

Montenegro’s Lake Skadar is one of the biggest bird reserves in Europe. It’s home to over 270 bird species and is a vitally important stop for migrating birds. Among the most popular on the lake are the Dalmatian Pelicans. Efforts to protect their breeding grounds have yielded good results and now visitors can take a trip in a traditional čun boat to see the birds. Along with majestic pelicans, visitors can expect to see pygmy cormorants, storks, egrets, ibises, herons and falcons.

Further down the coast, an ever-increasing flock of flamingos calls an old salt works home. The Ulcinjska Salinas, once the biggest salt producer on the Mediterranean, is home to over 500 flamingos and up to 40,000 birds at a time. The area is due to join Lake Skadar on Ramsar’s List of International Importance in the hopes that it will be saved from overdevelopment. 

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/montenegro/articles/11-incredible-things-you-never-knew-about-montenegro

5. Crni Rižot

In Montenegro, there is a beautiful coastline and it is full of great offerings for the dinner table. Crni Rižot is a traditional food in Montenegro made using squid or octopus ink. The risotto is cooked with the black ink from these seafaring creatures. It gives the dish its unique color and briny flavor.

6. Palačinke (Pancakes)

The locals fill Palačinke, or Montenegrin pancakes, with chocolate, jam, banana or nuts – or simply dust these with sugar. These look like French crêpes to me, but I'm not complaining, since I love them!!

aeonee:
Picturesque!

Yes!!

aeonee:

List of places to visit  is growing n growin....growin....

I hear you.